That little mini sewing machine from Hobbycraft - what is a good beginner model?


Word of advice from a sewing teacher ...

Whenever ladies or children bring this machine to class, I'm asked to give one to one support on how to thread the machine and explain why the owner is having handling issues.  I'm sorry to report that this machine is simply not a good beginners machine. Save up some birthday money and treat yourself to something better, or go for a second-hand machine.




Hobbycraft don't use this machine in their beginner videos, they use the Brother LS14 machines, which is exactly the machine you'll find in my sewing classes and to me, the Brother is a great beginner's machine.

We don't like to be negative here because we want everyone to love sewing.  I'd like to review this machine to prevent people investing in this for themselves or their kids.  We have so many disappointed faces when we can't get them to work for more than a length.

I'd like to review this machine;
  • It holds very little thread at a time. 
  • It goes very slowly. 
  • The wires are very short. 
  • The power is so little the needle can't pierce through much. 
  • It is so light weight but moves a lot when you sew. 
  • It can't hold proper reels of thread, you have to fill a bobbin. 
  • The bobbin falls off mid sewing and then it's fiddly to thread up. 
  • The metal is aluminum so bends easily which means you need to be extra careful using it and storing it.... but when you're using it moves a lot. 
  • It's not like a regular sewing machine, this is a chain stitch machine which means you need to lock your stitches at the end of each row of sewing manually. 
  • If a part gets lost or broken it's cheaper to buy a new machine.

Please, if you do like this machine, let me know why and what benefits you see for this machine over another. 

Beginner machine... I like the Brother LS14 at £70.



Here's my opinion, and it really is just my opinion.

This brother is quiet, a good beginner machine with a good beginners selection of feet and it's worth its weight - I used 4 of these in all my sewing classes and have had no issues. I used Janome 301's and had issues with all four of the machines in their first year, so they were promptly returned.

My best advice if you have a small budget is to buy second hand but get the seller to demonstrate the machine working properly before taking it away. For £30 you can pick up something good. It might need a light clean, but it should work well.   Then learn how to sew first, and build your way up.  My preference is Brother until you can afford a Husqvarna or Pfaff (my dream machine).

Comments

Popular Posts