Use a seam gauge to mark your sewing lines

My handy little seam gauge to mark out seam allowances, hems and marking lines makes my job a little bit quicker, and much easier. Yes, sure, you can use a ruler, but the sliding marker helps to give an exact same measure along the whole of the project. So where you might measure a millimetre different here and there with a ruler, chances are, you won't with this gauge.

The marker is not flush with the ruler, meaning, you can almost sit the marker alongside the fabric edge, and have the end of the ruler on the fabric, at the point where you need to draw your seam allowance.

After you have done that, and Ready to press your hem, take your seam guide along the hem allowance to check you've got an accurate measure all along the fabric.

Measure twice, cut (or sew) once...



Another use for this gauge is to help maintain consistency in a pre add garment, when perhaps your making alterations.  I know the seams are on the inside, and no one will see, but I'm particular about a good looking item needs looking good on the inside too...  just like a car.  But also, if you don't have an accurate measure in the alterations, sewing things back together without a good measure means you haven't provided a good service.

So, I like to measure along the seams inside a garment, and I will ensure these will be put back the same. So as in this dress, a zip was removed to insert a corset back, although the dresss didn't matter whether the seams were accurate for a perfect fit, I still wanted the seams to be the same throughout the dress.
I didn't have my seam gauge with me, and I found it fiddly to do with a regular ruler.




Here, I have drawn on the fabric while it w wrapped around my daughter.  I am here drawing a seam allowance.  I made the toile fit perfectly around the torso, so I need to be accurate in my markings to reflect a good fit after its sewn together using the same seam allowance I have marked up.



Lastly, I do also want to mention, this gauge is brilliant to make sure that when you're sewing, the distance , particularly for top stitching or quilting,  you would like to set between the seam and the fabric edge is accurate,  don't always trust the seam allowance lines on your needle plate unless you do have your needle dead centre.

Don't forget to use on curtains an homes.  I found it brilliant this weekend on a large pleated skirt, the hem felt like it went on for miles, so the seam gauge felt like a blessing.



Enjoy and happy sewing X

Abi x 

Comments

Popular Posts