Tablet Case

Tablet Case Cover


My iPad case is a little bit tatty, and I've decided I'll make a new cover for it, much quicker than hunting around for one that I won't like as much.

So here we go

I have recently been sucked into buying fat quarters. As a dressmaker, theres not much use for them... and now here, I do need 1, or 2 half fat quarters.

Just to help you understand what a fat quarter is, here's a sketch.  You can also get long quarters, or maybe they're called thin quarters, like the lower sketch.
This exercise will be all about you working out what you need for your little tablet, net book or even laptop.

just to give you an idea of where we're heading :-)
i have sandwiched the iPad between the card to help work out the spine width and fabric I need
I have some very strong card from a box

Lay the tablet onto the card (or measurlthe width and height).  I  have cut very close size and
 added a thin 1cm strip for the spine.



Lay the 2 fabrics on top of each other, and measure how much you need to cut for your tablet by laying out all your cut card out. You need a distance between the spine and the front and back pieces to allow the fabric to fold with ease.
Trim the fabric to get a neat sewing line

I've cut the card careful around the iPad, giving 1cm seam allowances, and a generous, 2cm for the spine



I have added wadding to soften the case, Cut 2 pieces as the front and back of the case.
I need to secure the iPad case closes. So I will cut out a tab, 5cm wide and 20cm long. Fold over the edges and topstitch.  Sew this onto the case cover fabric.
  Lay the 2 fabrics with right sides together, and add the wadding on the back and the front.  You need to sew along 3 of the sides, careful not to catch the tab in your seam.


Trim off the corners, not too close to the point
Flip the case the right way just to be sure the card fits in 








Once I'm happy the card fits in nicely, remove them again and  I'll sew in a tab to hold the iPad and I'll sew the ½ bottom seam line to secure it into the case.
For the iPad to stand , I am adding a strip of fabric inside the case
Neaten the edges

Sew onto the pad. the raw edge along the bottom will get sewn in when I'm finishing the seam off.

 Insert the card back into the case and had sew the open edge. Use a topstitch, or my preference, a ladder stitch.  It's a hidden seam and looks more professional.




If you have a snap fastener, add that to your case.

voila



Abi x




Comments

Popular Posts