16" envelope Cushion with Appliqué

Simple sewing to improve skills and technique can produce wonderful items for your home.


Have a go at making an envelope cushion, measuring to take into consideration your seam allowances and fold over.



For the top and bottom seams, I've allowed ¼" seam, so for the 16" square, I need to purchase a cut length of16.5" off the roll.

The width of the cushion is 16", but I would like a fold over of 6" to give a comfortable hidden coverall for the cushion on the back.  I should also allow another ½" for the ¼" folds for the finished edge visible on the back.  The other hidden edge of the fabric is a selvedge, and because it's a finished edge, it won't fray, and won't be seen so I've not needed to allow for a folded, sewn finish.




Measure and draw lines along the cushion to identify the front and back parts of the cushion.  I can then know where to appliqué the designs on the front.

I've cut out contrasting hearts and appliquéd this onto my front segment.  I've gone and sewn some ribbon onto the back segment of the cushion.  I think it makes the cushion feel like it has more depth than just something on the front, but let your imgination flow.

Sewing around the heart and random flow of ribbon gives you the skills needed to sew around necklines, hemlines and sleeves.  It might seem like just a little cushion, but you've polished up some of your dressmaking skills and given your home a beautiful gift.

After appliqué, I fold the fabric over the front, the edge I've finished first and the the selvedge ending top.  Make sure I have a 6" fold over and make sure the width is 16" going across the cushion.

Pin the unsewn edges together and sew ¼" from the edges.  I then zigzag to overlock the fabric to prevent fraying.  If you have an overlocker/serger, then great, use that instead.



One thing I would like to say is that even though many people use their overlocker/serger instead of a sewing machine, I would prefer to sew with a sewing machine, and then finish the edge with an overlocker.  Generally speaking, domestic Overlockers don't sew, they finish the seam, unless you've bought one especially.

Enjoy x


Comments

Popular Posts