New Sewer's Kit

I've been preparing an ideal sewers kit, for a newbie or someone who, like me , has spent so much money on bits and bobs that end up in the useless pile (I'm a hoarder and can't throw away)

If there was one thing I would love, it's have to be my embroidery snips, I can snip away unwanted tail threads, snip into corners and notch fabric without fear that I will overcut, as I've done so many times.  They're perfect for unpicking as well!


I have a jumble of things that I like to use, I'm sure most of it is luxury, but it's these little luxuries that make the final project easier to complete, leaving you with a satisfied feeling, that compels you to go back for more... a bit like eating chocolate :-)

In preperation to making a patterned item, I like to have my basic toolkit to hand.  I've taken it along with me to people's homes when I've gone to teach or to help out.  I usually find that it all fits neatly into my little kit bag.  A bag bought in B&Q, it was full of useless things like a hammer, screwdrivers and something called a spanner.  I just tipped the lot into my husbands toolbox and kept the bag for me.  It's a perfect little size for my bits and bobs, and I'm sure for anyone wanting a kit for college.
Ideal Sewers Kit
pins
hand sewing needles
tape measure
long ruler
chalk pen
stitch ripper
embroidery scissors / snippers
large scissors
pinking shears
blue or aqua marking pen
fray check
small ruler, sewing gauge
magnetic pin cushion
wonder clips
tracing wheel and carbon paper
sewing bag / box to put it all in

maybe - rotary cutter and mat

 We all need a few basics. A good pair of scissors to cut your fabric,  Pins, all sorts available. People recommend glass headed ones, I find them too thick, I came across some in IKEA, and they've been the best I've found in like forever...
Here's some of my own bits and bobs.  You can see I'm quite a fan of the German company, Prym.  Like their excellent engineering in cars, Germany know how to produce a well engineered sewing gadget.





 
These are great marking pens, they dry in the air, but sadly, poor brands end up with the ink drying before you get to your sewing  machine. Prym seem to have a good one for sale, I'll have to investigate them one day and let you all know.


My plethora of sewing items that I tend to carry around.

It's always interesting to see what others have that I don't, following a post on Facebook, Ive discovered wonder pegs and Kai scissors, so I'm off shopping...

Happy Sewing x








Comments

Popular Posts