In Stitches

In Stitches…

This past month has been a sewing frenzy for me.  Lots of events to attend, so that means I’ve had lots of dresses, bags and bunting to sew (not for me!), not to mention the repairs.

One of the occasions was a birthday of a good friend of mine.  She was lucky enough to be treated to a new sewing machine, so I bought her some essentials to add to her sewing kit.  She was so pleased to be able to take up her own curtains.

Sewing, like any hobby, can be great fun, but can also be off putting if you’ve not got the right tools to hand.  I recently helped a lovely lady, make some bridesmaids dresses, she was grinning ear to ear when she had finished.  I didn’t know until then that she had never sewn a dress before.  She was pleased at how easy it was, having used good tools to help her.  They cost a little more than she would have spent, but she felt she got that back from the 2 dresses she had made, and the other projects that were on the horizon.

I can see now, after years of buying things I’ve ‘needed’ and the amount I’ve thrown away just because ‘it’s pretty’ that I have decided to save you from the same ordeal and share my Ideal Sewing Kit list with you as well; hopefully to make your sewing experience as easy and enjoyable as mine and my new friends.
           
Pins                                         Glass headed pins; You can iron over these and they don’t melt
Hand sewing needles             Choose a pack with various sizes, and a threader
Tape measure                         Fibre glass won’t stretch and will stay accurate and is150cm long
Long ruler                                30cm - 60cm, I prefer metal. Wood and plastic edges misshapen
Chalk pen                                or chalk wheel. Traditional tailor’s chalk blunt and isn’t as accurate
Stitch ripper                             I like the large handle with a small ripper on the end
Small scissors                         Use at the sewing machine to cut off tail threads, and to clip seams
Large Tailors shears               23cm is a good size, but go for smaller if you prefer
Paper scissors                        NEVER use your fabric scissors to cut paper!!!         
Aqua marking pen                   If you’re afraid of other markers not being removed properly from delicate fabric
Sewing gauge                         Great for altering a pattern and marking up hems etc
Pin cushion                              If you can get a tomato with sand or grit, that helps keep pins sharp
Tracing wheel & paper           Copy pattern markings that will be hidden (e.g. darts) onto fabric
Sewing box to put it all in        Or make a sewing bag (http://abisden.blogspot.co.uk)

You need to consider the quality of the tools.  Pop into a supermarket and you can pick up some reasonable okay tools, but for someone like me, who takes sewing to the next level, we want something substantial.  I also like my nifty little gadgets.

Prym is the brand I will always recommend… and it’s a good job I told them...

They’ve offered me a full sewing kit to give away to a lucky SK Magazine reader.  All you have to do is email our lovely editor, subject line “In Stitches” simon@skmagazines.co.uk and tell him how you got into sewing, or if you’re new to sewing, what inspired you x If you’re writing on behalf of someone you want to gift to , let us know why he or she should win.  Good Luck and Happy Sewing

Abi x

Comments

Popular Posts