Bunting, the one seam, easy to sew method


I love bunting.  It adds a happy feel to a place, one of celebration and good times.

But I'm also lazy... If there's a shortcut, I'll take it, and you know what they say... A lazy person is usually the cleverer one in the room.  Haha! :-)


We have to come up with clever ideas to get jobs done using the least effort... So here goes.

I decided on my triangle size and then drew out a pattern to template onto card and cut out more triangles. 




I'm using a triangle from bunting I have not completed. I thought 3 triangles would be sufficient around Daisy Dog's bed, but I've decided I need 2 more.

on an A4 sheet of paper, I draw out ½ of the triangle of the finished piece


I then sit another triangle that I've made and sat it next to the 1st piece. 
So sit 2 of my finished pieces side by side and draw a template on a piece of card or paper. Go around only ½ of the 1st and up to mid point of the 2nd triangle.  Join this line to the corner at the bottom of your card/paper.

Add a seam allowance of ½ cm to the 2nd piece, and mark the 1st piece, along the straight of the card/paper as the fold - this sits on the fold of your fabric.



it should look a bit like a kite

My business 'cards'

Place this template onto the fold of your fabric piece; cut and sew along the seam allowance line.
As in the image above - if you unfold your kite, you should get a diamond shape.

Press the seam open, and the 2 points at the top should fold flat to give you your triangle piece.

Voila - no faffing around sitting 2 lots of fabric and worrying about lining etc.




Here's Baby Jacob's new bunting for his new bedroom.  It had to Manchester City Blue - even though his dad supports Manchester United - sorry !

Happy sewing x


Comments

Popular Posts