Prym L❤️ve - Reversible Skirt

Love Prym

I'm loving these little Prym sets.

I made this cute little skirt for my friend's little one. She's a bit shy about me taking a photo of her, so it's on a hanger. I took some shots as I went along. 

The fiddly part is adding a stretch to the gathered skirt part.

2 pieces of cotton, a third cotton has elastane and 2 'handmade' labels





find a template for the neckline with instructions inside the packet


I've measured the elastane for a 64cm waist then I took 10% off the elastane length  



 Put the RIGHT sides of the skirt fabric together and sew along the long length.
Turn so the WRONG sides are together and press.  This is the hem.

The sewn bottom is the hem

Flip this now so you've got the two joined pieces folded in half over each other length wise to sew a long tube.



 Match the seam at the top and bottom bottom, and sew along the length.





















Pull the tube back to get the wrong sides together and pin.




Mark this edge at 4 equal points.  I've made the seam the centre back of the skirt.

Cut the elastane 10% shorter than the waist length.  This is a general rule of thumb, not necessarily technically right, but not technically wrong either.  It seems to work alright.

Sew the elastane together along the short lengthw to make a large circular piece for the waistband.  Then mark the elastane at 4 equal points along one edge.  




Sew the longest stitch, often referred to a basting stitch, along the unfinished edge, leaving long tails of thread at the start and at the end.  Do not lock the stitches (anchor or sew back and forward to reinforce)

Tie one end of the tails together and use the other end to gather the skirt.  You do this by pulling the top thread out of the fabric.  It shouldn't come all the way out because you've tied the other end securely.  Keep gathering until you get an equal share of gathers between all 4 parts of the skirt to match with the stretched elastane.


Stretch the elastane and pin to the skirt at the 4 marked corners
gathered skirt pieces matched up at the ¼ positions, and then pinned.





match and pin the skirt to the waistband


I have the benefit of an overlocker
Sew the edge of the waistband to the gathered skirt, pulling on the elastic to keep it stretched, and making sure you take out the pins as you go along.  Use a stretch stitch.






The red side looked a bit plain so I turned over a hem 
Add a 'handmade label'

and a bow to the waistband









I had a rectangle piece of the fabrics left over, so I have used the lighter piece to make a purse.
First back with an iron on stabiliser, and fold in 2 places to join the ends about 2 inches from one side.

Sew on a zip along the 2 edges, turn the right side together and sew along the sides, don't forget to add a red cord/ bag strap.

Snip off the corners and turn back to right side out.


The zip is longer than I need, but I will snip off the ends... making sure the slide is inside the bag.
  I have left the zip open to allow me to flip it right side out.




Comments

Popular Posts